Friday 25 April 2014

brassy tones of copper

Do you like brass and copper? I'm warming to their warm metallic colour and the nice patina they develop with age.

I don't have a lot of it in my home though, it's more silvery or painted white when it comes to metallic surfaces in here. But since having been looking at a lot of mid century modern stuff online, I guess I got into the look of brass and copper too.

I picked up this little set of copper hooks shaped like a teakettle for it's kitschy charm and thinking that I can hang my annoying but much used wires on it (the white iphone wires and earphones). I tried it, but the wires still looked messy, not achieving the tidy look I imagined so now I'm not sure what I'll use the hooks for after all.

The following two saucepans are of a much clearer function. 

In general we watch a lot of good cookery shows, where the chefs work with gorgeous kitchenware. Inspired by that we've been after an original french Tournus copper pot for ages.

Now it comes to us for an incredibly low price (two euros). To our astonishment it had dried flowers glued to its bottom and was being sold as kitchen decoration. I turned it around and around in disbelief, but it indeed was a genuine Tournus copper pan with impeccable tinned insides, and not a scratch on it. At home we removed the dried flowers and glue, and now it's happily re-established to its noble kitchen duties: preparing sauces!

The little norwegian saucepan is also in unused condition. It was made by a now defunct company called Polaris. It is super heavy and perfect for preparing small amounts of delicious jus (or gravy, that is, for you and me).

Lastly, a duo of candlesticks. They were almost left on the shelf by me, but they somehow charmed their way into my heart with their blue green waxy patina and their crafted-in-India look. 


8 comments:

  1. The pots are amazing! Thanks for sharing your thrift haul.
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's nice to share :) i really liked your finds in your last retro finds post. the clothes hanger is amazing. x

      Delete
  2. I would have loved to have seen your Tournus copper pot "before." It sounds terribly tacky LOL The pot itself sure is nice. Brass and copper have grown on me because of blogs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now i think about it i should have taken a photo before restroing the pot. i was way too appalled to think of it then. :) it was super tacky! thanks for your comment Anny!

      Delete
  3. Really nice, I love how copper ages. Apparently you can make green paint with weathered copper this is on my never ending to do list. Your pots are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope you try out making green copper paint, i'd love to see it! x

      Delete
  4. Those copper pans are gorgeous - so glad you're using them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Ruthy, thanks for having a look at my blog, and for your comment! it's nice to find stuff to use for little money, oh how i love flea finds! :) i'm following you now to see what you find on your charity shop trips.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...